Twitter

Follow A Write Hook on Twitter: @WriteHookBlog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Beautiful Vermont Sparked a Contemplation

This past weekend I went back home to Vermont for mid-semester break. Driving there and back, I was distracted by the beautiful foliage I saw on the way. When I was home, I enjoyed the fresh country air, the trees, the grass, and the leaves, and watched the horses from the farm next door. Maybe it was the wide-open spaces or that I was truly alone, but either way, it was very relaxing. Being in Vermont got me thinking about how lucky we are to have such beauty around us all the time in nature, when there is so much ugliness in the world. Thinking of this made me start contemplating about how lucky we are in general. 

When I say "we," I mean anyone who is blessed enough to have a roof over their heads and a bed to sleep in at night. With all the stress we have from everyday life, it's easy to forget about the little things (don't judge me for my cliche-ness!). As a senior in college who does not handle stress well, I have been kind of going crazy trying to juggle my responsibilities. Sometimes it is difficult to find solace with my friends because everyone else is just as stressed out as I am and trying to find solace with each other, as well. I suppose the equal stress bonds us and we can empathize with each other. 

I digress a little, but my point is that even though college is hard and everyone is freaking out, having their mental and emotional breakdowns, we are all incredibly lucky. Enjoying the scenery in Vermont allowed me to just take a breath and realize that I--we--need to stop focusing solely on the bad stuff, and appreciate the nice, little things.

A couple summers ago I started taking pictures when I was home. Just photos of flowers, trees, things like that. Since I'm feeling nostalgic and grateful, and am missing Vermont, I decided to post a few for you all to enjoy. Take a moment and just look at the pretty flowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment